As occupational therapists we believe that the occupational focus of the profession, recognising that what people do in their lives, the activities and occupations they participate in, develop and sustain a sense of well-being, health and social participation.
Through occupations, individuals may develop greater resourcefulness and resilience in managing health and social challenges. Occupational therapy can have a significant contribution in addressing health promotion and improvement, public health and primary care challenges in Europe. There is a need for occupational therapists to be able to effectively communicate their contribution at a European level and thereby increase the visibility of the profession.
It was against this background that the organisations of ENOTHE and COTEC recognised that greater collaboration and a common voice would be more effective in achieving greater visibility and influence
Occupational Therapy Europe is the result of increasing collaboration between occupational therapists in practice, education and research to promote and develop the delivery of occupational therapy services in Europe. Since 2011 there have been many joint meetings and projects between COTEC and ENOTHE, which have served to confirm that a collaborative approach can be effective in terms of practical action and information exchange.
How we will work
Presidents and Vice-Presidents of COTEC, ENOTHE and the Chair and Vice-Chair of ROTOS will, as the Executive Committee of OT-Europe, meet face to face twice a year, and on Skype as needed to:
- share and inform each other about issues of common, or specific concern to the profession: practice, education and/or research
- identify when joint responses to European policies are required
- propose occupational therapy position papers regarding European policy and service user issues
- identify areas for development of occupational therapy practice, research and education
- share issues raised by members of the respective organisations, and feed back to members issues that OT-Europe Executive Committee consider worthy of attention
- identify members from COTEC and ENOTHE to represent OT-Europe in or at appropriate fora.